The Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association is excited to present the
1st Annual Ohio High School Landscape Olympics (OHLO)
November 3 & 4, 2016
OSU/ATI Wooster, OH Campus
This competition has been created to:
- Provide a fun, yet educational competition where aspiring students are able to test their hands-on skills.
- Enable industry representatives to experience the next generation of green professionals, allowing students to see the value in green professions.
Interested in sponsoring? CLICK HERE
OHLO is open to all Ohio High Schools with a Horticultural component. Single teams from all participating schools may compete in all events, or just a few. Each student is limited to competing in four events, however schools are encouraged to field a single team that will have participants in all ten events. Time slots for specific events will be tight, creating a full day of competition, thus each contestant must be registered in advance. Students must be currently enrolled in high school and allowed to participate by the rules of each school.
Ten competitive events have been created to test the student’s abilities to interact in a hands on environment. These events will be planned, implemented and scored by industry sponsor’s using guidelines generated by the ONLA. The attached event descriptions were prepared to allow schools to begin preparation for what will prove to be a very competitive and fun environment. The following list of events are part of the 1st Annual OHLO!
Compact Excavator Operation Hardscape Installation
Construction Cost Estimating Irrigation Assembly & Troubleshooting
Sales Presentation Landscape Maintenance Operations
Skid Steer Operation Landscape Plant Installation
Plant ID Truck & Trailer Operation
Each event will be scored on a 100 point scale. Individual events will be scored as follows:
- Two person team events; the school team will receive a possible 200 points toward a cumulative school total score with each member of the team receiving a possible 100 points per event. For example, the hardscape installation team may score 180 points, each member of the team will receive an individual score of 90 points.
- Multiple individual competitors from the same school that do not work as a team; each individual will receive a possible 100 points, with the school total being the total of all competitors from that school.
- Event judges will score each individual contestant on the basis of 100 possible points. All scores for each contestant will be recorded and submitted by the judges to the mathematics team.
- The individual student earning the most points will be declared the “Top Student in the State.”
- The High School Team earning the most points will be declared the “Top Team in the State.”
Contestants will be expected to furnish the equipment necessary in the event descriptions. All other equipment will be provided. We expect contestants to use equipment noted on the sheets and equipment provided to standardize the competition. Nothing outside of these tool lists will be allowed.
Any competitor demonstrating a lack of knowledge, skill and preparation that puts their own safety or the safety of the entire competition will be stopped and scored accordingly. This decision is at the determination of each judge. Safety is a very big part of each competition and will be addressed accordingly.
Finally, these events are meant to create a fun learning and competitive environment that allows industry representatives to be a part of the next generation. Along with all the competitive events a career fair and student networking event (pizza party and much more) is planned.
We know you have questions! We expect lots of questions as we set out to begin a high school competition that is the first of its kind. Please be open and upfront about your interest and opinions as to how things are being planned, it will only make OHLO better! Contact Roni Petersen at the ONLA office with questions. firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-825-5062
Thank you to these OHLO Sponsors
Columbus State Landscape Alumni Association
GreenScapes Landsdcape Co.
EMI - Environmental Management Services, Inc.
Hemlock Landscapes, Inc.
Rice's Nursery & Landscaping, Inc.
Wolf Creek Company
Competition Event Sponsors:
Benchmark Landscape Construction, Inc. - Truck & Trailer Operation
Bobcat Company - Skid Steer Operation
Columbus Builder Supply - Hardscape Installation
Columbus State Community College - Construction Cost Estimating
EMI - Environmental Management Services, Inc. - Landscape Maintenance Operations
Hidden Creek Landscaping - Sales Presentation
Ohio CAT - Compact Excavator Operation
Peabody Landscape Group & Willoway Nurseies, Inc. - Landscape Plant Installation
The Ohio State University ATI - Woody Ornamental Plant Identification
Wolf Creek Company - Irrigation Assembly & Trouble Shooting
Five Seasons Landscape Management
Grunder Landscaping Co.
Hidden Creek Landscaping
M.J. Design Associates, Inc.
Mike & Paula Lynch